As part of my Buckt activity list for this month I received a digital treasure hunt for 2x people. It was provided by “The Great Game” and is available in multiple regions of multiple cities throughout the UK. For my own purposes I chose the North London package because it was on the door step of the Chaos Karting I was attending that morning, and because frankly there is little to do in North London (that I can afford to do) and so I know less about the area than I know about others.
The Hunt took us through the Barbican centre, alongside the London Wall for a stretch and past the St Paul’s Cathedral and the Museum of London. We detoured into the Barbican conservatory as it was close by and I had never gone before. Entrance is free but one is meant to book ahead. They were kind enough to let us little two through on this occasion though. It is a pretty little tropical forest enclave in the urban labyrinth of barbican walkways. There is even a koi pond and some terrapins.
The treasure hunt itself relied heavily upon a sense of direction, and even with a compass I concede to this being something of a major weakness in this individual who basically derives the bulk of her joy from getting and being lost. Fortunately, my companion James counters it with an almost superhuman ability to point himself in the direction of North upon request. For my part I found I was better able to unscramble word clues. Neither of us was particularly good at spotting the landmarks that were supposed to indicate a change of direction, so a 2-3 hour hunt became an 6 hour one, admittedly with the assistance of a couple of interesting looking pubs along the way that simply needed to be investigated.
The end prize was a 20% discount off food and drink at a traditional pub not too far away from St Paul’s Cathedral. The Food selection wasn’t astounding but cheeseburgers were on it and that’s all I require from my menu selection.
I cheated myself by cheating on the hunt. I think that it would have been perfectly accomplishable with some genuine effort if I hadn’t felt compelled in myself to get us through each stage quickly enough to not incur frustration in my companion. And for that I failed us both as I know my companion is not remotely prone to frustration or impatience. I will most likely be attempting another Treasure Hunt in the fullness of time, with a resolution to tearing up the cheat sheet.
No comments:
Post a Comment