The first rule of Chaos Karts is “You do not talk about Chaos Karts”.
Well, at least it was at the time, when I found it on a debut deal of £15 for two people to test the bare-bones experience before it opened to the public at full price the following week.
I don’t know what the full experience would entail but what I got was a whole load of exhilarating, side-splitting fun. It is indoor go-karting without the spine-juddering vibrations or need for a helmet or safety gear. If you come off the tracks, the Kart slows to a crawl. If you are particularly inept as a driver, as I appeared to be, you can still crash into other karts (though I don’t recommend it. They felt expensive. But there was no pain to the driver upon collision)
This experience allows one to whizz the kart around a day-glo track in a dark room with a virtual scene (such as “space” or “a desert”) changing on the walls around you every so often. Overhead lights project gems and “power up” items at random places of the track. The aim of the game is to gain the most number of points by collecting gems and using the power up items to disable the other karts. The button to the left of the steering wheel shoots the karts ahead of you. The button to the right of the steering wheel drops sabotaging items onto the track such as (virtual) eggs for the unsuspecting karts behind you to get stuck in. If you are skilled, you can veer around these dropped items. If you are me, your Kart will be forced into a halt for a few seconds while you simmer with plans of vengeance.
Shooting lasers across the arena whilst throwing ones kart around the corner was tremendous fun. I got 2 rounds out of the experience, and that is the only slightly negative thing I have to say about it. Two rounds didn’t last very long at all, and at the price it currently promises to retail at, I would hope that the consumer would get a longer experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment